Thursday 17 August 2017

Well time goes by so quickly and here it is August 2017.
I am minded to write this post as I have just referenced my blog in another forum, as it may be of help to those just starting this journey.

Update:
Still here still having some problems but nothing like before. Some things you just have to get used to with having this operation, it does cut you up a bit and leave lots of scar tissue which pulls and pushes against your inner bits.
The digestive system still has a mind of it's own and continues to surprise me now and again with it's response to certain foods. My learning curve has got better and I don't fight it so much although I am still my worst enemy sometimes and eat things I shouldn't and then pay the price. All in an effort to 'be normal' which after this you are not.
It is interesting that after all the diagnosis and operations and after care, all of a sudden it all stops after 5 years and you are on your own. And I mean on your own, no more support no more check ups no one in the proffesions taking an interest in you. Apart from immediate family and friends there is  no one. It has all gone away. This is when support groups like the OPA (Oesophageal Patients Association) come into their own, they fill in this gap and give you connections with others that help and make this part of the journey bearable. The OPA helps earlier of course, from first diagnosis and through the treatment and operation, but I have found them really helpful after all this has died down and there is no one helping any more, so make sure you find your local OPA go there and let them help you, it is really worth it not just for how it helps you but for how you can help others just starting on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment